Along with not paying for credit cards, should you stop payment on personal unsecured loans before official filing?

Gainesville, FL |
Filed under: Bankruptcy

I have stopped using and paying the credit card bills that will be included in the Chap 13 filings. I have 2 unsecured loans (peer and non peer). Should I stop paying on these as well?

Lawyers aren't allowed to tell people not to pay their debts. The wisdom of not paying the bills really depends on how big of an unsecured creditors pool you are going to have in the 13. Generally it's a good idea to not treat unsecured creditors differently. If you were filing a 7, it would probably be a waste of your money to continue to pay on credit cards. The best thing you can do is ask your attorney about this. Hope this helps and best of luck!

The information provided in this post is not "legal advice." Rather it is general information on common legal issues. If you have questions concerning your specific situation, it is always best to consult an attorney in your area.

Do you need the money you are spending on these debts to complete the payment of your attorney fees? Are either of these loans to parties that qualify as "insiders," such as family members, friends or business partners? Hope this perspective helps!

Hire an attorney.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advise" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here. Please visit my web site: for more information about my services.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt