Almost out of status f-1 student getting married. Should I return to my home country or stick around as an out of status?

Asked over 1 year ago - Philadelphia, PA

Todays date is Aug-24th
The school closes their registration on the 14th of September, at which time I presume the international office will report to the USCIS that I am out of status.

from research I found that as long as I have not lived for over 181 days in the US as an out of status, I am free to file for the required forms such as the I-130, I-485.
the source is 3 years old [http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/out-of-status...] and I am worried that it may be outdated.

to put time into perspective:
Heres the problem, we want to report our marriage within a few days, in 3 weeks I will be declared out of status, and I am worried that I'll be deported before the results come out....

thank you, i love this forum

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

13

Answered . You can adjust your status in the US even if you fall out of status.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . We love you too but you need to talk to an immigration attorney in person. I assume making a correct decision is important to you.

3. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

3

1

Answered . No need. If you're married to US citizen you will not even be required to maintain your F-1 status and if correctly filed, will get your green card within four months from the date of filing.

4. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

2

Answered . Generally speaking as long as you entered the country legally and marry a US citizen you should be okay assuming you are marrying for love. It is best to consult an immigration attorney.