Allowing someone else to use a checking account to avoid levy...legal or not?

Grafton, IL |

A friend of a friend is facing bank levys form unpaid credit card debt, and would like to open a sole proprietorship business account with my friend, where this individual facing the levy would deposit their paychecks, and use a business atm card to conduct their daily business like a personal account. The catch is that my friend will be the business owner, and this individual just an authorized employee user of the account, so the account will be in my friends SSN, thus avoiding this individual having their money levied. This sounds terribly sketchy to me...is this legal or illegal? Thanks!

Go with your gut. Sounds like your friend would be helping the debtor defraud his creditors.

The information provided in this post is not "legal advice." Rather it is general information on common legal issues. If you have questions concerning your specific situation, it is always best to consult an attorney in your area.

Tell your friend this is a VERY VERY bad idea.

The plan as stated smacks of fraud.

Further, all the liability seems to lie on your friend, and all the benefits with the deadbeat seeking to evade his creditors.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business