Skip to main content

Allocation of parental responsibilities

Denver, CO |

If I sign and the mother signs in agreement and I leave the state after the courts approve our agreement will I lose all my rights. If we agree to share time and I need my time spent in another state with my child would I be allowed to do so? If so what would I need to request. If I file for parental responsibilities and move out of state for work purposes would this affect my case?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


A move out of state can (and ideally should) be addressed in the parenting plan you sign and submit to the court for approval. If you are planning to leave the state and are uncertain how this might affect your parenting time, I'd very strongly encourage you to discuss your specific situation with a family law attorney before signing anything, as relocations are very difficult cases to deal with. Hope this helps.

You can reach Dave Rich at (303) 886-2516 or Dave Rich is an attorney licensed in Colorado. Answering your questions does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts in your case, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.


Wow -- this is a tough situation. You will not lose any rights -- but how can you keep exercising those rights if you move? This should all be hammered out in your parenting plan PRIOR TO leaving Colorado.

A family law attorney can probably advise you of many things to consider as you arrange th plan. Who is going to pay costs, for example? What about phone calls, Skype, internet access, etc. How will you split holidays?

We would be happy to help you if you follow the link below . . .

Best of luck!!

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.


A parent can always ask the court to order out of state parenting time if he or she lives or relocates outside the state if Colorado. If you file a petition for allocation of parental responsibilities both you and mother can stipulate to a parenting plan that involves the children having parenting time with you in your state of residence. If you and mother are not able to agree you will need to ask the court to order the out of state parenting. In any case you need to get your parenting ordered by the court, do not rely on an informal agreement.

All written responses are for general informational purposes and do not constitute legal advice. Please consult an attorney for legal advice

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer