Allergic reaction to medication

Gaffney, SC |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

I took a medication that contained iodine, but on the package it did not state that it contained iodine. I looked on the ingredients list and nothing was listed about iodine. The only warning was to not take the medication if you were allergic to shellfish. The medication is a supplement and not regulated by the FDA. I only took 1 of the 2 and I had a mild reaction (swelling of my face, hives, vomiting), but if I took 2 I would have been hospitalized. I verified the iodine ingredient with the pharmacist, which was the reason for my reaction.

In order to prove negligence, you would have to show that the supplement company owed you a duty, the company breached that duty to you, and that the breach was the proximate cause of your damages. Good Luck!

The information in this website is provided as a general legal reference . The reader is advised to check for changes to current law and to consult with a qualified attorney on any legal issue. The use of this material does not create an attorney-client relationship with the Lovely Law Firm or any of its attorneys. When transmitting information over this website, you understand and agree that Lovely Law Firm will have no duty to keep confidential the information. Because the information posted on this website is prepared for a general audience, without investigation into the facts of each particular case, it is not legal advice: neither Lovely Law Firm or any of its attorneys has an attorney-client relationship with you. The thoughts and commentary about the law contained on this site is provided as a service to the community, and does not constitute solicitation or provision of legal advice. While we endeavor to provide accurate information at this website, we cannot guarantee that the information provided here (or linked to from this site) is accurate, complete, or adequate. We provide this general legal information on an ‘as-is’ basis. We make no warranties and disclaim liability for damages resulting from its use. Legal advice must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case, and laws are constantly changing, so nothing provided at this site, should be used as a substitute for the advice of competent counsel. Finally, using this website or sending email to the host does not create an attorney-client relationship. The material in this website may be considered advertising under applicable rules. If you need to speak to an attorney about your specific legal issue please call the Lovely Law Firm at 843-839-4111

A defective product may give rise to a cause of action in strict liability, which is separate from a negligence claim. Strict products liability arises where the product is defective and unreasonably dangerous. A product is unreasonably dangerous only if it is more dangerous than would be expected by an ordinary person who may reasonably be expected to us it. In addition to strict liability, a South Carolina plaintiff can bring a products liability claim under a theory of negligence and breach of warranty. These theories are not exclusive and the plaintiff's failure to prove one does not preclude proving the other.

Please be advised that this comment should in no way be interpreted as legal advice, nor should one rely on this comment in making a final decision about his or her case. Each case is fact specific and peculiar in its own way. Thus, you should consult with an attorney in-person or over the phone, explaining your particular situation, so that the attorney can render fully effective and competent assistance tailored to your particular situation.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes