Alimony obligation for disabled spouse.

Asked over 1 year ago - Jersey City, NJ

My husband and I have been married for a year and a half. We do not have children together, nor do we own any property. He has been on permanent disability for mental illness since before we were together. I work full-time, he does not work. What would be my alimony obligation to him?

1. Yolanda Navarrete

Pro

Answered . Alimony is very fact specific. However, based on the limitted information here you may be required to pay alimony.

2. James R Fridie III

Pro

Answered . As the above answer indicated, alimony is fact specific and the court looks at a number of statutory factors when deciding if alimony is appropriate, including the payee's need, and the payor's ability to pay, length and duration of the marriage, marital lifestyle of the parties, etc. Far from a slam dunk that he would receive alimony. You should definitely consult with an attorney in your area to discuss in further detail.

3. Ronald Glenn Lieberman

Pro

Answered . Those facts would be weighed by a judge when reviewing any alimony from you to him.

4. Brad Michael Micklin

Pro

Answered . It is difficult to answer without more information. Alimony was created to assist a spouse who lost the opportunity to advance his or her career during the marriage.  The purpose of alimony is to assist that spouse in maintaining a comparable life style that he or she shared while he or she was married.  Some of the factors that a court will consider in determining whether or not to award alimony include, but are not limited to, their respective ability to pay, the duration of the marriage, the age and health of the parties, the standard of living during the marriage, their earning capabilities and employability and equitable distribution of the marital property.

If you want to speak with an experienced attorney who is familiar with these areas of law, call us at 973-562-0100. Our firm is concentrated in family law and estate planning case. Also below are links to our blog articles that may assist you with your issue.

Brad M. Micklin, Esq.
    The Micklin Law Group
    187 Washington Ave., Suite 2F
    Nutley, NJ 07110
    973-562-0100
    Brad@Micklinlawgroup.com
    www.micklinlawgroup.com