Alimony/child support to foreign National with Permanent residence

Orlando, FL |

I have been married for 8 years to Colombian national, but for the eight years we have only had together time of only a few weeks a year (when she visits or I visit). She still lives in Colombia with my daughter and two Step-sons (not adopted). We have been separated for about 2 years (not documented). I have net income of about $4114/month. She buys Health insurance down there. We are ready to get divorced. What can I expect (ballpark) for Alimony/Child Support?
Some advice says no Alimony, so far. and some advice says between 950 - 1370 for Child Support, but not sure on the sources. We are divorcing because the marriage is not working; with her there and me here. She has not come here because the Step-sons still don't have visas or green cards.

Who is planning to file for divorce and where? If she plans to file in Colombia, you would need to hire an family attorney in Colombia to help you, as the laws are different there.

If you plan to file in Florida, child support will likely be calculated based on mom's income in Colombia and your income. It is hard to say how much child support will be, as it also depends on the how much time you plan on spending with your daughter. If your income is more than mom's then the less time you have with your daughter, the more you will pay.

Alimony is difficult to say because it is based on her need and your ability to pay. The court will also consider the duration of the marriage (7 years or less is considered a short term marriage, 7-17 years is considered a moderate term marriage ), the type of lifestyle you both had during the marriage, if you both worked or if you maintained her, her ability to be self-supporting post divorce, etc.

There are several factors the court considers to determine alimony and there are different types of alimony to award. It is not like child support where there is a guideline to follow.

I urge you to speak to an attorney in your area to go what options are available to you.

My preliminary answer to your question is based on the limited information you have provided and should be used as guidance not legal advice. My response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship.

2. The financial circumstances of the parties needs to be evaluated before a determination can be made as to what if any alimony might be paid and what child support should be paid. The best thing for you to do is hire a qualified professional, a family attorney in your area.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239

3. A more thorough evaluation of your case is necessary to answer these types of case. Please feel free to contact my Orlando office during regular business hours at 407-354-5223. I offer a free consultation and would be happy to speak to you.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family & criminal law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

4. Alimony payments to nonresidents can be tricky. Attorney Carmelina Marin has experience in international custody and divorce issues, and can answer your questions. P.ease contact me at 407-207-1902.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. Attorney Carmelina Marin, practices law primarily in family and criminal court, as well as bankruptcy. The Marin Law Firm, P.A., where family comes first, is located in Orlando, Florida. The Marin Law Firm, P.A., welcomes your calls at 407-207-1902. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established. Thank you and have a blessed day.