Alimony, Pendente Lite and Taxes

Asked over 3 years ago - Jersey City, NJ

Is voluntary and court ordered pendente lite tax deductible for the payer? I separated in January 2010 and have been paying my spouse since. If not, can I claim it as a gift? I need some help!

1. Ronald Glenn Lieberman

Pro

1

Answered . It depends upon how the pendente lite order classified the payments. Unallocated support payments can be considered all alimony, under one tax case called Kean v. Commissioner, IRC. You need to speak to a certified public accountant for tax advice and information, though.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed.