Alien in removal proceedings, Am I eligible for filing unemployment? what Benefits available example: food stamps etc...

Asked about 1 year ago - Memphis, TN

Greetings,
I am an alien who entered the U.S.A with an I-94 Humanitarian Parole.
I worked for a company for years with valid work authorization.
Recently I.C.E. Ended my parole and placed me on removal proceedings at no fault from my side .
My I-94 expired and so did my Work Authorization and my employment.
I have a family and I pay $2,000 in expenses every month/child support,rent ,food etc...
My child is American citizen but we the parents are not.
My court hearing is scheduled six month from now.
Can I file for unemployment?
What benefits can i apply for ,example food stamps,etc

I live in Tennessee

Your advice is much appreciated.
Thank you

1. F. J. Capriotti III

4

Answered . Although this isn't an immigration question and you should talk to an unemployment lawyer ... it is my understanding that you can not get unemployment if you don't have a work permit ... one requirement for unemployment is that you are ready-willing-and-ABLE to work and have been making applications for work.

As for food stamps, I think you need to be lawfully in the US .. again, I'm not certain.

BUT,the good news is that the US citizen children may qualify for government welfare/food benefits.

Go talk to someone at a local Legal Aid office.

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . ICE does not put people in removal proceedings and revoke Humanitarian parole just so, out of no reason. If want an answer to your question, reach out to an immigrant attorney, disclose your facts in entirely and maybe you will get an answer or maybe even a solution to your problem.

3. Philip Alan Eichorn

2

Answered . Unemployment is a state law issue. You should discuss this with an unemployment lawyer in your neck of the woods.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now