Alien in removal proceedings, Am I eligible for filing unemployment? what Benefits available example: food stamps etc...

Memphis, TN |

Greetings,
I am an alien who entered the U.S.A with an I-94 Humanitarian Parole.
I worked for a company for years with valid work authorization.
Recently I.C.E. Ended my parole and placed me on removal proceedings at no fault from my side .
My I-94 expired and so did my Work Authorization and my employment.
I have a family and I pay $2,000 in expenses every month/child support,rent ,food etc...
My child is American citizen but we the parents are not.
My court hearing is scheduled six month from now.
Can I file for unemployment?
What benefits can i apply for ,example food stamps,etc

I live in Tennessee

Your advice is much appreciated.
Thank you

1. Although this isn't an immigration question and you should talk to an unemployment lawyer ... it is my understanding that you can not get unemployment if you don't have a work permit ... one requirement for unemployment is that you are ready-willing-and-ABLE to work and have been making applications for work.

As for food stamps, I think you need to be lawfully in the US .. again, I'm not certain.

BUT,the good news is that the US citizen children may qualify for government welfare/food benefits.

Go talk to someone at a local Legal Aid office.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

2. Unemployment is a state law issue. You should discuss this with an unemployment lawyer in your neck of the woods.

3. ICE does not put people in removal proceedings and revoke Humanitarian parole just so, out of no reason. If want an answer to your question, reach out to an immigrant attorney, disclose your facts in entirely and maybe you will get an answer or maybe even a solution to your problem.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Social security topics