Alien in removal proceedings, Am I eligible for filing unemployment? what Benefits available example: food stamps etc...

Asked about 1 year ago - Memphis, TN

I am an alien who entered the U.S.A with an I-94 Humanitarian Parole.
I worked for a company for years with valid work authorization.
Recently I.C.E. Ended my parole and placed me on removal proceedings at no fault from my side .
My I-94 expired and so did my Work Authorization and my employment.
I have a family and I pay $2,000 in expenses every month/child support,rent ,food etc...
My child is American citizen but we the parents are not.
My court hearing is scheduled six month from now.
Can I file for unemployment?
What benefits can i apply for ,example food stamps,etc

I live in Tennessee

Your advice is much appreciated.
Thank you

Attorney answers (3)

  1. F. J. Capriotti III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Although this isn't an immigration question and you should talk to an unemployment lawyer ... it is my understanding that you can not get unemployment if you don't have a work permit ... one requirement for unemployment is that you are ready-willing-and-ABLE to work and have been making applications for work.

    As for food stamps, I think you need to be lawfully in the US .. again, I'm not certain.

    BUT,the good news is that the US citizen children may qualify for government welfare/food benefits.

    Go talk to someone at a local Legal Aid office.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more
  2. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . ICE does not put people in removal proceedings and revoke Humanitarian parole just so, out of no reason. If want an answer to your question, reach out to an immigrant attorney, disclose your facts in entirely and maybe you will get an answer or maybe even a solution to your problem.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  3. Philip Alan Eichorn

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unemployment is a state law issue. You should discuss this with an unemployment lawyer in your neck of the woods.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now