Skip to main content

Agreement states taking son in alternate years as dependent on tax return and taking child care credit and child tax credit.

Marlton, NJ |

Since 2005 when the divorce was finalized ex has had no problem with this . Now ex has decided she wants to refer to federal law which says only the custodial parent can take the child care credit . She is OK with the other tax credits . Ex wants me to pay the child care credit back to her for the years I took the child care credit and if I don't threatens to go to IRS . 1 . Does he have a right to do this ? 2 . Is there a statute of limitations as far as how far back she would be able to seek the child care credit ? 3 . Would this hold up in court even if she agreed to the divorce decree ? 4 . Would she be in contempt of court for violating a court order ?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    I agree with my colleagues. The position taken by your ex is the IRS's "default" - meaning in the absence of any agreement to the contrary, this defines who gets to take the relevant deduction. In New Jersey settlement agreements almost universally allocate the deductions between divorced parents to allow them both to benefit as much as possible, and they are routinely enforced.

    If you think this post was helpful, please check the "good answer" button below! NOTE: This answer is made is for advisory and/or educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site, or posting a question and obtaining an answer, you understand that no attorney-client relationship is being established between you and the answering attorney, and there is no attorney-client privilege between you and the attorney. You should consult with a licensed professional attorney in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. The information provided in this answer is designed to be general in nature and is based on the facts stated in your question, and might change based on further information.

  2. The following was taken from IRS Pub 4449.

    Generally, because of the residency test, a child of divorced or separated parents is the qualifying child of the custodial parent. However, the child will be treated as the qualifying child (for the purposes of claiming a dependency exemption and the child tax credit, but not for the earned income credit) of the noncustodial parent if all four of the following statements are true:
    1.The parents:
    a. are divorced or legally separated under a decree of divorce or separate maintenance,
    b. are separated under a written separation agreement, or
    c. lived apart at all times during the last 6 months of the year, whether or not they are or were married.
    2. The child received over half of his or her support for the year from the parents.
    3. The child is in the custody of one or both parents for more than half of the year.
    4. The noncustodial parent attaches a Form 8332, or similar statement containing the same information required by the form, to his or her return. The form must be signed by the custodial parent. (See special rules in Publication 17 for a pre-1985 or post-1984 and pre-2009 divorce decree or separation agreement.)
    See Publication 17 for additional rules for claiming an exemption for a dependent

    It seems the custodial parent is confused. It sounds like everything under the bridge is copacetic.

    You have asked us to state an opinion based upon stated facts. You have not provided us with any documents, pictures, witness statements or other admissible evidence. The opinions stated are based upon general principles of law unless otherwise stated, which may or may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Controlling law is also subject to change or reversal at any time. Any such changes may be retroactive and could significantly modify the statements and opinions expressed herein. Similarly, any change in the facts and assumptions upon which this opinion is based could modify the conclusions. We opine only as to matters expressly set forth, no opinions should be inferred as to other matters or to treatment of matters not specifically addressed. This opinion represents our best judgment as to the probable outcome of the issues discussed and is not binding on the courts or upon your adversaries. We can give no assurance that an adversary would not challenge our conclusions and prevail in the courts in a manner to cause adverse consequences. With respect to some of the matters discussed in the opinion, existing legal precedent may provide very little legal guidance. Although the opinions and views expressed are based on our best interpretations of existing law and what we believe a court would probably conclude if presented with the applicable issues, we can give no assurance that our interpretations would be followed if the issues became the subject of judicial or administrative proceedings. Realization of certain benefits described is subject to the risk that a tenant may challenge the treatment and that a court may sustain the challenge. Because you may bear the burden of proof required to establish a fact, the opinions expressed assume the you will undertake the effort and expense to present fully the case in support of any matter that you have asserted and an opponent might challenge. None of the advice provided here may be used to avoid tax liability, interest or penalties. If you want that level of assurance you will need to allow us to perform the full opportunity to explore the facts and law applicable to your specific circumstances. I provide answers here to allow people to see the style of communication and type of analysis applied to factual statements.

  3. Mr. Walker has given you a superb answer. You should also check IRS Publication 501 at Do not lose sleep over your ex reporting you to the IRS. The IRS has its hands full and does not have an interest in following up on tips like this. The IRS is only interested in making sure that only one parent claims the exemption, and that the parent who claims the exemption is actually entitled to it. The statute of limitations is three years from the date the return was filed. If you two had an agreement, then the court will uphold your agreement: but how are you going to prove your agreement in the absence of a writing. You need to have a written agreement with your ex. Yes, if she violates a court order, the judge MIGHT find her in contempt. But judges don't like to hold people in contempt.

  4. Your ex spouse should follow the agreement in which you stated that you and your ex spouse modified the law to fit your case.

    DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed

Child support topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics