Aggravated DWI .18 and hit parked vehicle, what type of sentence am I looking at?

Asked about 1 year ago - Bellmore, NY

Long story short, fell asleep behind the wheel while intoxicated and rear ended a parked car. I blew a .18 in the precinct. I was released to probation and have my first court date on March 6th. I have a clean record. What is my best case scenario?

1. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

7

1

Answered . Best case is probation without jail. It is going to be difficult but not necessarily impossible.
    Hire the best attorney you can!

[removed]

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

7

1

Answered . You need to hire a criminal defense lawyer you knows how to handle a DWI case. If this took place in Nassau the DA there has a no plea policy on DWI cases.

3. Steven Marc Raiser

7

Answered . The DA will not offer any type of plea bargain and will likely look for some jail time. Best case scenario is to get the case dismissed. Short of that the best case scenario is no probation no jail just ignition interlock and fines. The next best case would be straight probation with no jail.

4. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Pro

5

1

Answered . You already have answers from four good New York lawyers. I join them, as someone you CANNOT hire for this, in saying you need a lawyer, now.

Often people think that because it isn’t a murder case, a drunk driving case is simple. Nothing could be further from the truth. These cases can be among the most complex a criminal defense lawyer handles. The government is willing to spend an incredible amount of money to convict you though. They will have expert witnesses available for consultation and trial.

That you have been charged or that some contraption says your alcohol level was at a certain level does not mean that you are guilty. It certainly does not mean that you can be proven guilty using competent, valid evidence.

Field sobriety “tests” are designed to give police a reason to arrest. You cannot “pass” them. The police will admit that almost a third of healthy young adults who take these tests without any alcohol will be judged to be “under the influence” – and that assumes they are properly administered!

After even a first drunk driving conviction, you may face employment discrimination. You will certainly be charged higher for insurance. Having such a conviction will also make you a target for drunk driving arrest in future interactions with police. You will automatically become a suspect.

You will want a lawyer who is familiar with field sobriety “tests,” perhaps one who is certified to administer these tests. You will want a lawyer familiar with the weaknesses of the contraptions that are used to report alcohol or drug levels. You want an experienced trial lawyer, used to cross-examining police officers. Police officers are practiced, experienced witnesses.

That is, you want an experienced drunk driving defense lawyer, whether you call the offense DUI, OWI, DWI, OUI, or drugged driving.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
    Thank you.

--- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/drunk_driving_lawyer.htm

--- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer
    http://www.facebook.com/MadisonWiDrunkDrivingLa...

--- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer
    http://addbalance.com/fieldsobrietytests.htm

--- Drugged Driving/DUI/DWI/Drunk Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/duidrugs.htm

--- Which Offenses Count as Priors in Wisconsin? - Madison Dane County Wisconsin DUI OWI Drunk Driving Lawyer answers
    http://addbalance.com/duimath.htm

--- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com/duitendaywarning.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin drunk driving (DUI/OWI/DWI) defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

See “more” link below for more important information about this answer and AVVO.

5. Farah L. Rousseau

3

1

Answered . The DA is not likely to make any offers with this type of fact pattern because of the blow and the accident. So best case scenario if you take a plea to the top count is a conditional discharge with DWI conditions (ignition interlock, possibly drinker drivers program and victim impact panel) and court fees, though you're more likely to receive a sentence of probation with DWI conditions and court fees. If you go to trial and win at trial of course the charge(s) would be dismissed. You should certainly contact an attorney for a consultation as soon as possible.

6. Marco Caviglia

Pro

3

1

Answered . As to sentences and impact on your license, I have links to the penalties under "links" on my website. As to what is the best thing to do in your situation, the other attorneys have done a great job in discussing it already.

One or more answers have been taken down.