Age of consent question, Colorado

Denver, CO |

In Colorado, the law says that it is legal to have sex with a 15 or 16 year old if the person is less than 10 years older than him or her. I am 26, was born in June '86. Would it then be legal for me to have sex with a 16 year old who was born before June '96, or would he or she have to be 17?

Sit down with a criminal defense attorney to make sure you get this answer correct.

That said, why in heaven's name would you be asking such a question, as the young lady is no older than a sophomore or junior in high school. Don't you think you;re playing with fire?

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

Haha, well, thanks for your candor, but this isn't something that I'm trying to do, just a technicality that I thought I should know. I'll take your advice though and play it safe... thanks.

In addition to Mr. Deasy's remarks, it is a felony in Colorado to have sex with someone who is under the age of 18 years if you are "in a position of trust" with respect to that person.

www.karlgeil.com. This answer is provided as general information about a legal issue, is not legal advice specific to a particular case, and does not create a lawyer-client relationship with the person asking the question.

Whether it is legal another question ours whether it it's the right thing to do. Go out and play with someone your own age.

Um... no, you're lawyers, not priests, rabbis or gurus. If you wanted to make moral judgements, you should have gone into one of those professions instead... As it stands, you simply cannot make judgements about people and and situations you are not familiar with or involved in, because there is no absolute right and wrong for everybody everywhere. This sight has been a tremendous disappointment in this regard, but I suppose you get what you pay for,