Age of consent laws depending on both parteners' ages.

Jamaica, NY |

My younger sister wants to have sex with her boyfriend but doesn't want him to get in any trouble since she is younger. She is still 15 and will be 16 in 2 months and he has just turned 17, 2 weeks ago. I want to know if there is any problems that could arise if someone were to find out. If they have sex now, what are the laws ? if she waits until she is 16, what are the laws ? If her boyfriend turns 18 and she is still 16, what would be the laws ? Also, if her boyfriend is 18 and she is 17, what would be the laws ?

The age of consent in NY is 17 so the boyfriend would be comitting a crime and could be arrested and prosecuted if anyone reported him.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 385-8015 or via email at Eric@RothsteinLawNY.com. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

She cannot legally consent to sex unless she is 17. Since she won't be 17 for about 14 months, that is when she could do that without potential legal issue.

In New York state the age of consent is 17

The above answer does not constitute an attorney client relationship and/ or retention of counsel. This answer is based upon the facts presented and may change if additional information is provided. The rules of the Bar for New York State may require me to advise that this could be construed as attorney advertisement.