Age discrimination/ FMLA retaliation question.

Akron, OH |

I'm a 49 years old African immigrant. I worked for a major corporation for 17 years. during which I received outstanding reviews for years. I filed a discrimination complaints against my boss for singling me out weeks after taking over and pushing me hard to quit. The company has a proven history of hiring and promoting very young managers regardless of performance. Lately, they have been very aggressive moving out tenured mangers over 40. 4 months ago I was fired while on approved FMLA because someone allegedly complained against me. Personnel would not tell me what happened/ when/ who etc... 97% of The managers that are assigned to be promoted are under 30! 98% of managers that are hired are under 30!

1. You will need to consult privately with a skilled and experienced employment attorney to determine your best course. But it may be useful to offer one observation here: it is virtually inevitable that an employee who accuses the employer of unlawful conduct and files administrative charges with the federal or state government and/or a discrimination lawsuit against an employer or manager will have to leave that employment. It is simply untenable and impractical for an employee who is making legal war on the employer to remain in the tent.

In most circumstances, the termination of the complainant-employee will not be actionable for two reasons: (1) no employee is so perfect that the employee will not eventually deliver into the hands of the at-will employer a colorable legal reason for termination; and (2) because of the pending discrimination charges, the employer is at the time closely involved with legal counsel and there will be sophisticated and strategic legal judgments brought to bear to support a sound and defensible termination as soon as possible and practical.

In 30 years of employment practice, I have never seen a discrimination claimant-plaintiff employee remain employed with the defendant employer, and I have never seen a successful legal claim based on post-charges termination of a complainant-employee.

Employees who have not been fired should always factor this real-world non-theoretical probability into the decision to undertake the legal complaint process.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.