AG says "Go on and forget about it".Fathers for Equal Rights do NOT defend or represent you in court. Is there any HELP for dads

Houston, TX |

Are there any programs for fathers in the state of TX that will help establish paternity, child support, visitation and representation ? Programs that will financially help fathers with these issues without having to file bankruptcy? The AG told me to go on and forget about my child and the fact that I think I'm the father. Fathers for Equal Rights will not represent one in court. They help with documents.It seems very inhuman and unethical that fathers should have to pay thousands of $ to see their child. By the time both parents obtain an attorney, that's 10-$20,000.00, money that is needed to provide for the needs of the child. Not to mention the fact that fathers will have child support established during the process. Is there any help for fathers that want to be fathers ?

The reality of family law is that it's expensive for everybody when the courts have to get involved to figure out family issues involving children. A legal aid organization may be able to help you but there are no guarantees. Legal aid organizations are short on cash. If you cannot obtain assistance then you will have to decide whether it is worth finding the money to fight for your parental rights. However, you cannot complain about having child support established if you want your parental rights established as well. You have to take the responsibility with the rights.

I don't have a problem paying child support, at all. I actually went to the AG to have paternity established and to have child support set up on myself. They told me she does not have to bring the baby in for testing. And the real kicker was telling me that "Im not a father, my child has no father and I should forget about it and go on and live my life ". That's real encouraging, not. The AG, along with many other websites, encourage father child relationships. Thats a no brainer ! We all know its in the best interest of the child to have both parents. My point is, there is ZERO help for fathers who want to be fathers. Mothers take children away at their own discretion, live off the government, do whatever they want and act like the fathers are dead. After researching for hours, days, I see I am at a dead end. I will find a way to come up with the money if this is my only option.

Thanks for you time and help.

1. yes.
2. yes legal aid.
3. yes.

Providing general answers are meant to help the poster to understand some complex legal concepts and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship.

Thank you ! How do I go about getting legal aid ? Is it a state funding or federal program ?

Kathryn Mary Holton

Kathryn Mary Holton

don't know but try this link to Lone Star legal aid then search more under Houston Legal aid. Should give you quite a few resources. hang in there and good luck. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CE0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Ftexaslawhelp.org%2Forganization%2Flone-star-legal-aid-houston-office%2Ffamily-law-and-domestic-violence%2Fchild-support%3Fref%3Du4wQe&ei=__llUpnDMsGs2AX7voC4CQ&usg=AFQjCNFAZHk8fbgNX_1eGQ0iLgJ4tima5g&sig2=3mAvGkM7irsAteJxsnQ7Yw&bvm=bv.55123115,d.b2I

Again, thank you ! I appreciate it.

It is hardly $10,000. If you are trying to get a simple child support order and visitation, you are looking at under 2000. It might sound like a lot, but consider child support every month for 18 years, and the value of having orders everyone must follow. The OAG is not your friend, so you need a lawyer.