After u have been approved and have already been getting ur unemployment benefits can the employer cancel ur unemployment at all

Asked 10 months ago - Batavia, NY

for any reason like if I was getting unemployment and I also had filed a complaint on the same place of where I was getting unemployment for a sexual harassment complait and they get mad and back out of the unemployment after I have already been getting my checks

1. Vincent Peter White

5

Answered . If they try to end your unemployment because you made a complaint it may be construed as retaliation against you, which is illegal under the sexual harassment statute.

2. Eric Sanders

3

Answered . Please do yourself a favor and consult with an attorney.

3. Arthur H. Forman

Pro

3

Answered . Unemployment benefits are given by the Unemployment Insurance Board, not by the employer. There is a time limit for fighting unemployment benefits, and once that time has passed, the employer can no longer object.

4. David Mullen

1

Answered . Your employer could try to stop your benefits by appealing the decision. However, there is a limited time available for them to do that, and if that time has passed, the decision becomes final.