Skip to main content

After the i-130 for a spouse get approved. what it is the next steps, what kind o docs they need. how long take to get here visa

Chelsea, MA |

the case now is in the post decesion activity. i am an us citizen and she lives in morocco we been married for more than 3 years and i ready provided them with a copy of my usc certifacte and a prof of my marrige a biografy for me a nad for here and photos.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Best answer

    If you checked the right box on the I-130 your case will be sent to National Visa Center which coordinates with consulates around the world. They will collect your Department of State fees, all DOS forms (varies by consulate), financial documents, and original relationship documents (Be sure to use the DOS REciprocity Schedule to make sure you have the right versions of the documents), police clearances from every city where she has lived since age 16 for 6 months or longer,, etc. Once these are complete they will schedule the interview (most consulates) and you look up the instructions for medical exam in that country and she does her medical, goes to the interview and proves her good faith marriage, gets her immigrant visa, pays USCIS immigrant visa fee through ELIS, and comes to the U.S. as a Permanent Resident. I strongly recommend you secure immigration counsel to guide you through the numerous steps and requirements.

    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
    Fax: (619) 923-3277

    Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

  2. You wait for NVC to send you instructions.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  3. Barring any delays you are looking at about a 2-4 month wait until the Embassy interview. Click the "The Family-Based Immigration Process" link below under Step Two.

    Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance -- Khurgel Immigration Law Firm -- Representing Clients in all 50 States and Worldwide / 4199 Campus Drive, Suite 550 / Irvine, CA 92612 / Office: (949) 509-6515 / Direct: (949) 535-6331 / Web: / Email: / Attorney Khurgel is a former USCIS and Department of State Embassy Officer.

  4. Once the I-130 petition is approved the file is transferred to the U.S. state Departments National Visa Center (NVC). If you provided your e-mail address in the petition, NVC may contact you by e-mail. if not, they will mail you a packet with instructions to pay the visa fees and Affidavit of Support fees, and also instructions on the forms that have to be completed and documents that have to be submitted. Processing a marriage case at a consulate overseas have many pitfalls, especially when your wife is interviewed at the consulate. I can't stress enough the importance of the assistance of an experienced and competent immigration attorney to prepare the documentation and prepare for the interview.

  5. If NVC has not sent you anything, you ought to contact NVC, have them email your lawyer your NVC case number and two invoices, pay the fee online, then file DS230 package and other civil documents. when NVC is satisfied with your documents, your file will be transferred to Morocco consulate to schedule an interview.
    This merely provides you a big picture, Many details cannot be covered here. Consult with an immigration lawyer.

    Tel. 617.221.3030 (lawyer of Worcester, Quincy of Massachusetts and New York) If you find the attorneys' answers are helpful, please thank the attorneys by marking their answers "helpful" or "best answers" so that they can get their credit from AVVO. The attorneys donate their time on AVVO to answer legal questions for free merely contribute their legal advice and do not create any legal representation relationships.

  6. The NVC should be sending you a packet of instructions for paying fees and submitting necessary paperwork. Once submitted, you will be prompted to get your medical and police clearance completed and an interview will be scheduled.

    This information is for informational and educational use only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

Education law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics