After the divorce, should i notify immigrations about the divorce since i sponsored my wife for a green card and it was awarded.

Asked 9 months ago - Leonia, NJ

I sponsored my wife for a green card and was awarded the status but now we are going through a divorce.

1. Zhulmira Enith Paredes

3

Answered . You do not have to notify USCIS about your divorce. Since your wife's green card was conditional, she will have to self-petition to have those conditions removed and that is when USCIS will become aware that you have divorced. So long as she can prove that she entered into the marriage in good faith (not simply for the immigration benefit), she should be able to have the conditions removed.

2. Laurence Drew Borten

Pro

2

1

Answered . You have no obligation to do so. Is this a conditional green card (that is, were you married less than 2 years when the green card was granted?)

3. C. C. Abbott

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You have no obligation to report any divorce. Remember the I-485 was an application filed by the beneficiary (your spouse) and she bears the burden to maintaining her status. As to the matrimonial legal questions, I suggest you contact a divorce attorney in your state who can advise you as to that component of your posting and comment. Good luck.