After the divorce, should i notify immigrations about the divorce since i sponsored my wife for a green card and it was awarded.

Asked 9 months ago - Leonia, NJ

I sponsored my wife for a green card and was awarded the status but now we are going through a divorce.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Zhulmira Enith Paredes

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You do not have to notify USCIS about your divorce. Since your wife's green card was conditional, she will have to self-petition to have those conditions removed and that is when USCIS will become aware that you have divorced. So long as she can prove that she entered into the marriage in good faith (not simply for the immigration benefit), she should be able to have the conditions removed.

  2. Laurence Drew Borten


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You have no obligation to do so. Is this a conditional green card (that is, were you married less than 2 years when the green card was granted?)

  3. C. C. Abbott

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You have no obligation to report any divorce. Remember the I-485 was an application filed by the beneficiary (your spouse) and she bears the burden to maintaining her status. As to the matrimonial legal questions, I suggest you contact a divorce attorney in your state who can advise you as to that component of your posting and comment. Good luck.

    Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Immigration and divorce

A divorce can change a spouse’s immigration status. Consideration of citizenship, visas, and green cards may be affected by a divorce.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,163 answers this week

3,588 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,163 answers this week

3,588 attorneys answering