After she dropped my case, does my ex-attorney still have a right to demand attorneys fees after I settled the case on my own?

Asked 11 months ago - Culver City, CA

I suffered an accident almost 2 yrs ago. After inquiring for 9 months regarding the status of my case and my attorney not being responsive,I showed up at her office and demanded a copy of my file, When she gave me a copy of it I saw a copy of a check from the insurance company for "med pay." When I questioned her abut it, she told me she deposited it in her trust account. She said according to our retainer agreement she had authority to sign my name on it. She then sent me a letter dropping my case. I called the insurance company and settled the case myself but the check is payable to me and the lawyer. I called her to sign and she wants to charge me attorney fees. Is she entitled to charge attorneys fees after she dropped my case? even if it was me that settled the case?

1. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

Answered . If your attorney withdrew form your case without cause, she is not entitled to any contingency fee but she is entitled to recover from you outstanding costs. For more on this subject see my blog post: Contingency Fee Recovery After Withdrawal or Discharge
    https://www.mrdaymude.com/contingency-fee-recov...