After she dropped my case, does my ex-attorney still have a right to demand attorneys fees after I settled the case on my own?

Culver City, CA |

I suffered an accident almost 2 yrs ago. After inquiring for 9 months regarding the status of my case and my attorney not being responsive,I showed up at her office and demanded a copy of my file, When she gave me a copy of it I saw a copy of a check from the insurance company for "med pay." When I questioned her abut it, she told me she deposited it in her trust account. She said according to our retainer agreement she had authority to sign my name on it. She then sent me a letter dropping my case. I called the insurance company and settled the case myself but the check is payable to me and the lawyer. I called her to sign and she wants to charge me attorney fees. Is she entitled to charge attorneys fees after she dropped my case? even if it was me that settled the case?

If your attorney withdrew form your case without cause, she is not entitled to any contingency fee but she is entitled to recover from you outstanding costs. For more on this subject see my blog post: Contingency Fee Recovery After Withdrawal or Discharge

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice or counsel. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice and counsel must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice and counsel during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice or counsel in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for advice and counsel. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference