After sending being told I was cleared for financial aid I was told in the middle of classes I would have to pay.

Columbus, GA |

In June I spoke to a financial advisor to whom I explained that in 2011 my husband did not fill out any taxes He was high school. The advisor who I spoke to guided me through the UoP website to update my financial aid information and put that my husband did not file any taxes. I called again within a week to check on the status of my financial aid and was told that I was cleared to start classes and financial aid would cover it. Within the 2nd week of my COM101 class I get an email stating that I am not cleared for financial aid. I called my academic advisor who told me not to continue attending classes because I would be charged so I stopped attending. Yesterday I get a letter from UoP that I have an outstanding balance. Finance Advisor says they never receive returns or update on husban

As this author has advised in other answers, whether the student has a remedy at law for a FInancial Aid debacle is entirely dependent on the writings between the parties, starting with the Financial Aid Agreement that is signed when applying. Most of these and the future communications from the school disclaim any liability for the school. Getting one's understanding in writing is so important, it cannot be stressed enough! See the attached article written by this author

This student writes "I called my academic advisor who told me not to continue attending classes because I would be charged so I stopped attending. " One wonders whether the student followed this up with an e-mail confirming these instructions. This student should collect all the communications with the school. review them for anything indicating remedies and take them to a debtor's rights attorney.

Thank you and please indicate if you found this answer and / or the link(s) helpful. Should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at TBKotler@sbcglobal.net or 330-777-0065 This answer contains information intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may be protected by attorney-client privilege or work product doctrine. However, the mere receipt of this answer, alone, is not sufficient to create an attorney-client relationship. If the reader of this is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, any dissemination, publication or copying of this answerer is strictly prohibited. The sender does not accept any responsibility for any loss, disruption or damage to your data or computer system that may occur while using data contained in, or transmitted with, this answer. Again,should the reader have any questions please feel free to contact Attorney Kotler at TBKotler@sbcglobal.net or 330-777-0065

Education law topics