After sending being told I was cleared for financial aid I was told in the middle of classes I would have to pay.

Asked about 1 year ago - Columbus, GA

In June I spoke to a financial advisor to whom I explained that in 2011 my husband did not fill out any taxes He was high school. The advisor who I spoke to guided me through the UoP website to update my financial aid information and put that my husband did not file any taxes. I called again within a week to check on the status of my financial aid and was told that I was cleared to start classes and financial aid would cover it. Within the 2nd week of my COM101 class I get an email stating that I am not cleared for financial aid. I called my academic advisor who told me not to continue attending classes because I would be charged so I stopped attending. Yesterday I get a letter from UoP that I have an outstanding balance. Finance Advisor says they never receive returns or update on husban

1. Todd Bruce Kotler

Answered . As this author has advised in other answers, whether the student has a remedy at law for a FInancial Aid debacle is entirely dependent on the writings between the parties, starting with the Financial Aid Agreement that is signed when applying. Most of these and the future communications from the school disclaim any liability for the school. Getting one's understanding in writing is so important, it cannot be stressed enough! See the attached article written by this author

This student writes "I called my academic advisor who told me not to continue attending classes because I would be charged so I stopped attending. " One wonders whether the student followed this up with an e-mail confirming these instructions. This student should collect all the communications with the school. review them for anything indicating remedies and take them to a debtor's rights attorney.