After reporting code violations of the landlord, he announce that I had to leave.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Moreno Valley, CA

The code violation were promised to be fixed, but from 2010 they have not been fixed. So now after the reporting the code violation he wants me to move.

On the retaliation issue, the landlord received the violation notice on Oct 2, 2012. He demanded a re-inspection and it was granted on October 9, 2012 and on said date, the inspector, the owner, the landlord and me conducted a full inspection. After the inspection the landlord (not the own) announced that I had 5 days to move out. He also added that he would not renew the lease, which was month to month verbal, after a 1 year rental agreement, and 2 6 month rental agreements (the last he said it was month to month) and finally no written contract at all.

1. Kevin Lewis King

6

Answered . Taking action to evict a tenant within 180 days of the tenant engaging in protected conduct (such as making habitability complaints) may be considered retaliatory under Cal Civ Code § 1942.5. (a) and, if deemed retaliatory, is a complete defense to an Unlawful Detainer action.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

3

Answered . The landlord's action might constitute retaliatory eviction. However, there aren't sufficient facts in your post, including the timing of when you reported the code violations, to ascertain whether or not this is so. For general information on retaliatory eviction, see:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook...

3. Eric Jerome Gold

Pro

3

Answered . My colleagues are correct that, based on your presentation, this might be a retaliatory eviction. However, you should consult with a local landlord tenant attorney for a more thorough review of your particular facts and circumstances. Good luck.

4. Marcus William Morales

2

Answered . Retaliatory eviction might be in play here. Call a landlord tenant attorney for a free consult.

www.marcusmoraleslaw.com