After receiving the eviction filed to the court, how long do you I have before me and my kids have to move?

Clearwater, FL |

If leaser was a "slumlord" how do I go about suing him?

An eviction lawsuit usually takes at least two weeks.
The average time can be 3-5 weeks.

It depends on how busy the clerk of courts, the process server, the judge, and the sheriff's department are.

You can file a counter-claim against the landlord.

Good luck!

When you say an eviction filed in court, then you are probably referring to a paper called a summons and not a three day notice. You have 5 business days to respond, not including weekends and the date of service to put money in court registry or otherwise respond. If you do nothing the landlord will ask for a default and writ of possession (which is the paper that gives the sheriff permission to put a person out of the property). My best guess is that you have 2 to 3 weeks from the date you get the papers to the date the sheriff arrives.

Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. Landlord/Tenant, Appellate and Criminal Defense. Robert Devin, Esq. (954) 647-5927, 200 SE 6th St., Suite 603, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant