After my car was totaled I had to rely on other transportation. How do you calculate the use of other transportation.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Clemmons, NC

After my car was totaled I had to rely on other transportation. How do you calculate the use of other transportation. I had to rely on some one else to take me to the doctor, and other errands. If I give this information to my attorney, what needs to be included on it, if anything? I know gas use is a factor, distance from point to point, wear and tear on vehicle. Do I just guesstimate a ball park figure or is there some formula or something?

1. Pedro Eduardo Krompecher

8

Answered . You are entitled to out of pocket expenses. Getting a ride from a friend will not be an expense unless you pay for the gas or toll roads. Focus on what amount of money you have taken out of your wallet. As my colleague pointed out, these are very basic questions for your lawyer. If you have one and he/she is not answering these questions, get a new lawyer. If you do not have a lawyer, I would suggest hiring one. Good luck.

Pedro Krompecher
    Krompecher Law Firm, PLLC
    (Phone) 919-229-9529
    (Fax) 919-869-2933
    (Email) pedro@krompecherlaw.com
    www.krompecherlaw.com

2. James Jenkins Mills

Pro

5

Best Answer

Answered . You are also entitled to "loss of use" of your vehicle while it is being repaired and is not drivable (assuming the responsible party does not provide a rental car), in addition to your out-of-pocket expenses. I agree with the other responses - your attorney should be assisting you with this and able to answer these questions. Sorry to hear about the accident. Good luck. -Jay Mills

3. Benjamin Weaver Glass III

7

Answered . First, if you have an attorney, you should be asking your attorney

Second, save any receipts

Third, you generally will only be able to claim reimbursement up to the time the other person's insurance company settles the property damage claim with you.

4. Daniel Nelson Deasy

7

Answered . Your attorney needs to be helping you with this situation.