After marrying someone that is a citizen of another country what steps need to be taken to become a citizen thru immigration?

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Washington, MD

I have been dating my fiance off and on for 7 years now. She is a citizen of Sweden and comes to the country 3-4 times a year or I go there.. We want to get married in November and plan on her to stay permanently after she gets here. Once we are married what are the steps we need to take for her to become a permanent resident/US Citizen. The 7 years of back and forth has run its course and we want to make this last trip her final destination. HELP!!!!!! I am not familiar with immigration rules

1. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

9

Best Answer

Answered . If her intention is to enter the U.S. to marry you and remain here permanently after the marriage, you should apply for a fiancé visa for her. She should not enter the U.S. under the visa waiver program as it can lead to a finding that she materially musrepresented herself at the time of entry. The fiancé visa allows her to enter the U.S. with the specific intent of marrying you and seeking permanent residence. I would encourage you to schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration to go over the process in more detail.

2. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

9

Answered . To be able to run one must learn how to walk first. In the same vein, one must first apply for and acquire lawful permanent residence first and apply for citizenship thru "fast track" spouse of USC category within 2 years and 9 months after having acquired a green card. The steps to be taken will depend upon your status at the time of marriage and the place of marriage, etc.

3. J Charles Ferrari

8

Answered . To become a citizen, one must first become a legal permanent resident. The steps needed to become a permanent resident depend on your status, where the marriage takes place, etc.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

4. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

7

Answered . First you must be a US citizen in order to file for your spouse. It is best to consult an attorney.