After living in an apartment for 5 years the carpeting is old ,worn and smelly, can the landlord charge me $150.00 to replace.

Milwaukee, WI |
Filed under: Tenant rights

The carpet was in terrible condition when I moved in

no way---unless there is a provision in your lease agreement that addresses the issue or the LL can tie the damge to you. Normal wear and tear is NOT your responsibility.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I do five my 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

The current law in Wisconsin is that for normal wear and tear the landlord may not withhold any amount from a security deposit for normal wear and tear, or for other damages or losses for which the tenant cannot reasonably be held responsible under applicable law.

That only speaks to your security deposit should you vacate the premises. You should read your lease for further details on the respective responsibilities of the tenant and landlord.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant