After initially filing for bankruptcy, how does one serve notice of stay of action of wage garnishment in Virginia?

Asked over 1 year ago - Blacksburg, VA

My wages are currently being garnished by a creditor who has won judgement against me. I have also filed for bankruptcy. How can I properly inform all relevant parties that my income is now protected by automatic stay?

1. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

1

Answered . I provide notice of filing by printing out a copy of the online certificate issued at the time of filing together with the Schedule listing the creditor. I fax to the creditor's attorney, to the employer, & to the law enforcement office that is processing the Writ. Hope this perspective helps!

2. Jeffrey B. Peltz

Pro

1

Answered . Provide the attorney for the creditor with a copy of the notice you received from the court. Also provide a copy of the page in the petition that list the debt. The attorney for the creditor will then stop the garnishment. Since he/she is the one that gave the garnishment, he/she must stop it. If the garnishment isn't stopped it's a violation of the automatic stay. By the way, the attorney for the creditor will also receive a copy of the notice since he/she should have been listed in the petition.

3. Dennise Louise Mccann

1

Answered . You may have listed your employer for notice purposes on your schedules or I suggest sending a copy of the formal notice to creditors to your employer.

4. Sonila Isak

Answered . Also, send the court where the judgment was entered a copy of your 341 notice together with the schedules listing the creditor.