After i turn 18 can my parents call the police and tell them i ran away. and would the police be able to do anything about it

Asked about 2 years ago - Mesquite, TX

my parents say that they can still bring me back and that they can still hold me without my will wouldnt that be kidnapping because am legally an over age person

Attorney answers (1)

  1. M Elizabeth Foley

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Unless there's a whole lot more to that situation than what you've mentioned (I'm assuming a court hasn't given them some unusual powers over you), then no, if you're at least 18 they cannot legally restrain you, prevent you from leaving, bring you back if you've left, or enlist police assistance to do anything other than check to make sure you're okay.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now