After I have paid half of a mortgage debt, is my spouse responsible for the other half?

Liberty, MO |
Filed under: Debt Mortgage debt

I left my spouse in 2009, we decided he would stay in the home. We did not file for divorce. At the end of 2010 the home was foreclosed and a quick sale was done. The amount we owed was 30k. Our wages were garnished. in February I will have paid in 15k and he is uncertain how much he has paid in. The last time I spoke with him he stated his work hadn't completed some paperwork and his wages weren't even being garnished at this time. What can I do to stop garnishment on my wages once I have paid half the debt. The mortgage loan was a USDA loan.

If you and your spouse signed the lender's agreement together, they may seek the full amount from you. It's referred to as joint and several liability. You are caused to then seek reimbursement from him. Unfortunately, this is the result of not performing the dissolution timely. Good luck.

NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.

When I file for divorce should I ask for money from him to compensate me for any amount I pay over 15k?