After I file for a default divorce what happens? How does the divorce become final? Do I have to sign anything after that?

Alameda, CA |

I filed for divorce 2 years ago. I had my husband served and I filed the proof of service with the courts. He didn't respond. I am going to file for a default divorce. After I file for a default divorce what happens? Do I have another step to complete after that? Does the divorce just become final after a short waiting period?

Nothing happens in a caliofrnia dissolution 'automatically". At very least, you'll need to prepare the remaining documents, including the proposed dissolution judgment (the document that a judge signs that actually gets you divorced) and submit them the proper way to the proper place in the court, with the proper number of copies, envelopes, etc. None of these tasks is very complicated, but they all need to be done correctly, or things will be delayed while the court's clerk sends you back the documents to be corrected.

I'd contact the court where you filed , and ask if they have either a free or low-cost assistance program to help with finalizing the process; many counties have such programs. If not, I'd spend the money to get a current edition of a "how to do your own California divorce" book (Nolo Press is the one I generally reccomend) and follow the "road-map" it will provide. I do NOT reccomend using a "document preparer" or "independent paralegal service" to do stuff that you can probably figure out on your own.

Recommended articles about Divorce