After I buy my car, is the bank my "creditor" or is the dealer? How can I tell?

Pittsburgh, PA |

I'll be buying my first car soon, and I want to understand the terminology and how it applies to my situation. What would my purchase look like if it is a purchase-money loan with the bank as my creditor, compared to how it would look as a credit sale with the dealer as my creditor?

I have to send my credit application to the dealer. But my eventual payments will be sent to the bank, after the dealer sales/assigns my installment sales contract to the bank. So who is my creditor under the Truth in Lending laws?

Also, I'll have to pay a finance charge

Once the dealer assigns the loan to a bank, the bank is your creditor.

DISCLAIMER: Any information contained herein is intended for general informational purposes only. The information should not be construed as legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Any response given does not result in any further obligation to provide an additional response. Seek competent legal counsel for advice on any legal matter.

Car loan topics

Recommended articles about Car loan