After High School graduation, can a 17 year old move out?

Asked almost 5 years ago - Poulsbo, WA

To be brief, I'm seventeen. I graduate on June 9th of this year, but turn eighteen in December. I have a boyfriend who is nineteen as of this month.

My mother receives Social Security for her mental disabilities, and we live on about $1,000 a month, which is NOT a good way to live. She told me I have a month after I graduate to get a job to contribute to the household, and save money for when I move out after I'm eighteen. I personally do not agree with giving her MY hard earned wages.
A friend told me after I graduate from high school, I'm free to move out of her apartment.
I know I can't sign a legally binding document, such as a lease, my boyfriend however, can.
I just want to know if this is true?
That moving out as a minor after graduation is okay.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Shawn B Alexander


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . There is a contractual exception for a minor dealing with the necessities of life such as food, clothing and shelter. You can sign and be held responsable for a rental agreement in Washington. You should be upfront with everyone including your mother about your intentions.
    Good Luck and be responsable

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,040 answers this week

3,374 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,040 answers this week

3,374 attorneys answering