Skip to main content

After going to Dr, he says do Physical therapy.. and come back to get an MRI if I want to. If i dont get an MRI-

Augusta, GA |

and need one later after the case has been settled, what can be done? or if it shows that I need MRI for other reasons that relating to same crash.. (maybe tissues, nerves, or something like that.. what can i do?)

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Once you settle the case, you can get addl medical treatment and tests, but you cant go back to the deft or his ins co and expect them to give you more money. Best to get all treatment and testing possible before settling the case. Get a lawyer if you dont have one already.

  2. First of all, if you don't have a lawyer, get one and do NOT talk to the insurer. Typically people who do not get attorneys see settlements averaging 70% lower than people who get attorneys.

    Not getting an MRI when recommended is foolish. First of all you may be risking harm to yourself medically. And you will lower the value of your case - the insurer will figure you didn't get it because you feel fine. And when you do get it after settlement, you're out of luck - it won't be paid for and the results won't matter legally.

    Get a lawyer, and get your MRI.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

  3. Get an MRI, and then get a personal injury lawyer. That simple.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755

  4. If you are injured, follow your doctor's advice. Failure to do so will be held against you by the insurance company if you file a lawsuit. Best of luck.

    This answer is provided by Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. El Abogado de Accidentes de Autos provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. El abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos y Lesiones Personales de Acidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, y Abogado de Acidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, y California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

  5. You should get an MRI if your doctor feels that it is reasonable & necessary not only for your spinal health, but also to detect a herniated disc, etc., which increases the amount that your case is worth. I have as a patient just like you, have been through this process. I know what you are going through following a car accident--the pain, not getting comfortable while sitting, being fidgety, wondering am I ever going to get better, the meds, etc. I know because I have been there. I would be happy to share my strength, experience & hope with you, pain management resources and talk about your case strategy if you would like so long as you are not already represented by an attorney. You can reach me on my cell phone 24/7 at (404) 468-4689. Take care my friend & I hope you feel better. :-)

    Sam Levine, Esq.
    Attorney at Law
    (404) 468-4689

  6. I think it's unanimous, and I agree! If your doctor is recommending an MRI, you should definitely get one. Otherwise, you won't know, or be able to document, the full extent of your injuries. Before you settle, you should do everything you can to determine that. Once you settle, you cannot go back for additional money to pay for treatments related to the accident. If you are not currently represented by an attorney and you would like to discuss the specifics of your case, please feel free to contact me at the number below. I will be happy to provide you with a free telephone consultation.

    Best regards,
    Mary Lewis

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics