After giving notice to not extend my lease, Can I extend the lease and stay in same apartment even if it is booked by someone?

Parlin, NJ |

I stay in NJ. I have 2 months notice period to vacate and I gave notice on 1st of may to vacate by end of June 2013 to VA. I asked the leasing office last week about extending my lease and when is the last date I should confirm them about extending the lease in the same apartment. Leasing agent told me that I can extend any time before I hand over the keys and even if my apartment is booked for someone, management will give priority to me and move the other person who booked my apartment to different one. This is what they told me last week. Today, when I asked them to extend the lease, they mentioned that it is already booked for someone so I cannot extend the lease instead they asked me to move to different apartment. Am I legally entitled to ask the same apartment where I stay now?

1. You can stay but under NJ law in this circumstance under NJ law the LL can charge double rent.