After getting married with my boyfriend can I start the paperwork to fix him papers?

Asked over 1 year ago - Kennewick, WA

Can I start the paperwork right away after being married or do I have to wait some time?

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

1

8

Answered . I agree with counsel. I suggest you consult a local immigration attorney. Good Luck.

2. Dave Hawkins

Pro

2

Answered . What do you mean by fix his papers? If he is here illegally, getting married to him will not solve that problem.

3. Bruce Clement

Pro

Answered . This sounds like you need a post-nuptial agreement. See my AVVO Legal Guides for an explanation of the legal issues raised by your question. To find my Legal Guides, go to my AVVO home page by clicking on my photo; scroll down to "Contributions" and then click "Legal Guides." You will get a list of the 29 Legal Guides I have published on AVVO. Scroll down this list and select the topics that are relevant to your question.

4. Barbara A Marcouiller

Pro

Answered . As an immigration lawyer, I can tell you there is no time that you need to wait before beginning the process to petition for him. The trick is that there are more issues to evaluate than only how long you've been married. Whether he originally entered lawfully, whether he's had any arrest by the police anywhere, whether he has any prior immigration history, whether he was caught trying to enter, whether he was included in a petition filed prior to April 30, 2001 that would allow him to ajdust in the U.S. if he entered illegally, whether either of you was married before or filed a petition before. I recommend you get a full evlauation by an experienced immigration attorney prior to starting anything. You don't want to make a mistake and end up with problems. However, to get back to the original question, you do not need to wait.