Skip to main content

After getting a working permit through marriage to us citizen you can do your social security number ?

Linden, NJ |

i got my working permit yesterday , one of my friend told me that when you get your working permit you can go to social security office to get your social security number , i dont know if its true or you have to wait a notice from USCI o go there

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Yes, it is true. Though the card will say for employment only. You will need to get another card after receiving your permanent residence. Depending on timing and your needs, some people prefer to wait.

  2. That is correct. Go to the SSA office now and get your SSN ASAP, to enable you to accept employment (EMPLOYER'S will not want to hire you unless you have a SSN for payroll purposes) and also apply for a state issued ID or driver's license. The number you'll receive now will be the number you'll keep for the rest of your life, no matter what your initial SSA card will initially state. Will always be able to obtain a new card once you obtain a green card anyway, but now you cannot afford to be without one.

    Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. Yes, you may go and apply for a social security card with your EAD card. It will be issued for work purposes. You may, as my colleague noted, wait until you receive your green card to file for the social security card since that will give you an unlimited SS card.

  4. Congratulations! You do not need a notice from USCIS to get your SS #. Take your employment card with the I-485 receipt to a SS office. Afterwards you may apply for a driver's license.

    Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

Social security topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics