Skip to main content

After filing for divorce if papers arenot served either defendant doesn't respond in how many days divorce granted automaticaly

Sugar Land, TX |

my spouse filed divorce on 24 june in fort bend, papers are still not served , case is pending in arbitration board, so what is the law, in how many days after filing courts grants divorce automatically if there is not response from defendant, and what if they case is still pending in local arbitration board does the court grants divorce after minimum time?

Attorney Answers 3


Unless the party to be served has appeared in court already on the matter, filed an answer, or has executed a Waiver of Service, the case will be dismissed and there will be no divorce if service is not had or a "return of service" is not otherwise on file.

24 years in Family Law and Criminal Defense. 713-627-0010 Nights/Wknds OK

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree


O days

Mark as helpful


In Georgia, a divorce cannot be granted unless the Court has proper jurisdiction over the Defendant; this is typically accomplished by personal service of summons and process, acknowledgement of service of summons and process, publication of summons and process (only in specific situations or a voluntary court appearance without raising (and thereby waiving) the issue of the lack of service of summons and process (no jurisdiction over the Defendant).

This response is general and informative in nature ONLY, and is not legal advice, is not intended to be legal advice and should not be considered or presumed to be legal advice. It does not create an attorney/client relationship nor should any attorney/client relationship be assumed or presumed. Every situation is different and specific legal advice should always be sought from competent counsel of one's own choosing.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics