Skip to main content

After filing ch 7 bankruptcy, I have now accepted a new job@140k a year&when I filed made 72k. Do I need to file an amendment

West Sacramento, CA |

BK hasn't been finalized and I will not tell my BK lawyer because I'll lose my discharge of 150k

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


I agree with the prior answer for the most part. There might, however, be an issue if you had this job lined up and knew that your income would be $140k going forward when you filed your petition. In that case, your Schedule I would need to reflect your income and any anticipated changes. But, assuming you had no idea you would get this job, your schedules do not need to be amended. As for your discharge, I really don't understand why you think you would lose it.

Also, not telling your lawyer does not really help your situation. Because you have an attorney you really need to consult with him/her regarding how to proceed. Your attorney has a duty to act in your best interest and I would not substitute the free information you receive online for sound legal advice from your lawyer who you paid to represent you.

This answer is for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. We are a debt relief agency. We help individuals and businesses file for bankruptcy protection under the Bankruptcy Code.


If the job offer came after you filed bankruptcy then its a non issue.


I also agree. If the offer & acceptance occured after the filing it does not call for you to amend the schedules. The schedules reflect what was true at the time of filing. However, read the disclosure at the bottom of Schedule I which states "describe any increase or decrease in income reasonably anticipated to occur within one year of the filing of this document". If there are additional facts that would indicated that you could reasonably anticipate this increase then my answer would be different.

This answer in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. The answer is not a complete answer and requires additional facts in order to provide the best options. The submitter accepts the risk of relying on such an incomplete answer and waives any claims of damages for doing so. As stated in the answer the submitter should contact a qualified bankruptcy attorney is discuss these issues further before any action is taken. Any action taken without advise and counsel of a qualified attorney is inadvisable.


The above counsels advice is sound.


Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer