After entire action dismissed w/ prejudice (due to tiny settlement) what type of document can I file with court to protect self?

Asked about 2 years ago - Roseville, CA

In CA civil med mal case, I was forced under duress/threat of harm to sign settlement agreement ( under reporting limits) for an egregiously negligent surgeon. Now that case is over, what type of document or letter can I file with court to protect myself and my reputation? The defense attorneys/surgeon used defamation, character assassination, false info & perjury to beat motion. Judge ruled with false facts, errors and he weighed evidence. My atty refused to go to trial, threatened to sue me for hourly fees if I didn't sign agreement with false info & extremem gag clause. The defense attorneys threatened to put in public domain my PHI and personal info again if I didn't sign. After signed, I learned info was withheld about defendant & my atty NEVER had medical expert review. Now what?

1. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

2

Answered . Not sure what you need. Once a lawsuit is filed, the court file becomes a matter of public record. Are you seeking to seal the court file?

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/sealing-re...

If there was a settlement agreement with mutual releases signed, you should be fine. If the case was just dismissed with prejudice and no releases were signed, then you are still exposed to potential liability for malicious prosecution, abuse of process and defamation.

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

Answered . Virtually all settlement agreements of professional malpractice cases include a provision for mutual confidentiality. Be very careful not to breach that provision in any way for any reason. Contact an attorney for assistance in understanding your confidentiality obligations if you have any doubt on this point.

3. James Michael Slominski

2

Answered . While I cannot give you legal advice in this forum, the dismissal with prejudiced ended your case. The case is closed. There is nothing to file. If someone says untrue things about you later, contact a local defamation attorney to see if you have a case.