After discharge of a debt even court related or criminal restitution am I required to continue payments?

Asked 12 months ago - Durham, NC

I filed chapter 7 no asset 11/2011 listed a restitution debt from 2006 in the amount of$ 7200.00. The court was notified and did not respond so the debt was discharged with no contest to the filing.

1. Diane L Gruber

Pro

3

Best Answer

Answered . Criminal restitution is not discharged in bankruptcy. Nothing has to be objected to, as such debt is clearly stated in the Bankruptcy Code as non-dischargeable. Moreover, it is a condition of your sentencing. If you don't pay, you will have to deal with the criminal court.

2. Michael J Corbin

4

Answered . Restitution orders are non-dischargeable as a matter of law, so there was no need for the "court" to "contest" it. You still owe it regardless.