After discharge of a debt even court related or criminal restitution am I required to continue payments?

Durham, NC |

I filed chapter 7 no asset 11/2011 listed a restitution debt from 2006 in the amount of$ 7200.00. The court was notified and did not respond so the debt was discharged with no contest to the filing.

Criminal restitution is not discharged in bankruptcy. Nothing has to be objected to, as such debt is clearly stated in the Bankruptcy Code as non-dischargeable. Moreover, it is a condition of your sentencing. If you don't pay, you will have to deal with the criminal court.

Be sure to designate "best answer." If you live in Oregon, you may call me for more detailed advice, 503-650-9662. Please be aware that each answer on this website is based upon the facts, or lack thereof, provided in the question. To be sure you get complete and comprehensive answers, based upon the totality of your situation, contact a local attorney who specializes in the area of law that involves your legal problem. Diane L. Gruber has been practicing law in Oregon for 26 years, specializing in family law, bankruptcy, estate planning and probate. Note: Diane L. Gruber does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and Diane L. Gruber, and the fee listed in the agreement has been paid.

2. Restitution orders are non-dischargeable as a matter of law, so there was no need for the "court" to "contest" it. You still owe it regardless.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.