After being suspended for a week from work, during that same week, I get a text message stating that she was fired.

Asked over 1 year ago - Wilkes Barre, PA

This is taking place in a club. i work as a bartender, an one of the other bartenders was talking crap about me. So when it can time to go to work i was her relief for that night. I told her to keep her mouth shut an stop telling lies about me. it was a little loud yes. i have been having problems with this person for sometime now. anyways, I get this text message from another employee stating that i have a vacation for 1 week. Not even a week goes by an i get another text from the same person stating you have been fired. I was not even asked my side of the story, or ask what happen that day, It was nothing anyone else has or have done in the past. I guess i am asking , It is right that they DIDN'T ask me for my side of the story, an can they due a double punishment for the same thing ?

1. Edward Clement Sweeney

Pro

1

1

Answered . It sounds like employees are telling you certain information, Are they owners or supervisors? I would not rely on the representation of employees about your status. Assuming you were indeed suspended or fired, this is within the rights of an employer if you do not have contractual portection and were hired as an "at will" employee. You may seek unemployment, however, if they punished you for something other people do and do not suffer the same penalty,

2. Harold Mark Goldner

1

Answered . Pennsylvania is an at will state in which you can be terminated for a good reason, bad reason, or no reason at all. You cannot be terminated in violation of "Public Policy" which our courts interpret to mean statutes enacted by the U.S. Congress or the Pennsylvania Legislature. When you are terminated because of your "protected classification" (i.e. age, sex, race, national origin, disability, and in some localities gender affinity) it's called "employment discrimination," not wrongful discharge.

In this case, you got into an altercation with a co-worker. Typically, in my experience, altercations between coworkers, regardless of who is right and who is wrong, result in one or both coworkers being fired. It's that simple. The issue of who is telling lies about whom is simply not the employer's problem. If you want to keep your job, steer clear of disputes with coworkers --- period.