After being served my divorce papers and the time limit is gone. can i still contest my divorce?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Dahlonega, GA

my court date is this monday

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Glen Edward Ashman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, and you need a lawyer badly! Retain one today and make sure you and he appear at your court date.

    If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to... more
  2. Anthony M. Zezima


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Under Georgia law, there is no default in a divorce case. Therefore, you may file a Answer and Counterclaim at any time prior to a Final Decree. You need to retain an experienced divorce attorney immediately (today if possible) in order to preserve your rights.

    I am exclusively a family law attorney, practicing primarily in the metro Atlanta, Georgia trial courts. However,... more
  3. Ikemesit Amajak Eyo

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . While it is too late to file an answer prior to your divorce hearing, you can still contest / object to the requests contained within the complaint for divorce. You would do so by appearing in court.

    Though you've pushed it to the last minute, you should consider meeting with a Family Law attorney in your area today to ensure you are prepared for presenting your case on Monday.

    I hope this information helps answer your question(s).

    ~ Kem Eyo

    The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

19,776 answers this week

2,504 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

19,776 answers this week

2,504 attorneys answering