After being Indicted in May of 2012...How long will it be for when I have to go to court?

Lubbock, TX |

I got indicted last May and I got appointed an attorney and nothing has happened yet. How long after indictment is court?

1. Is your attorney going to court for your or has your case actually received no setting at all? If it's never received a setting, this is ridiculous. But I also wouldn't point it out to the court. You don't want to get yourself prosecuted. If it suddenly gets a first setting after a year, for example, your attorney can file a motion to dismiss based on a violation of your right to a speedy trial.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

2. May 2012 to February 2013 is not a great deal of time in the criminal courts, especially when it comes to felonies. If you are concerned about the time your case is taking, that is an issue to discuss with your attorney because that is the lawyer who ought to be familiar with the reasons.

There can be reasons and benefits. I have had clients over the years wait several months, sometimes over a year, and finally end up with a dismissal. On the other hand, some have waited a long time and ended up with a conviction. Every case is different and depends on the details.

Answers on Avvo are for general information purposes only and should not be relied upon as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship is created by providing this answer. For specific advice about your situation, you should consult a competent attorney of your choosing.