After asylum approval can I marry a non us citizen and apply for reunion?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I got approve for asylum few months ago, currently im planning to marry a girl from my original country but she is living outside our country.
My question is, if we get married can I apply for reunion? She lives outside the states.. An form I-730 won't apply to my case as far as I know because the marriage existed after the asylum got approved.. Please any advice
Thanks

1. Kristina A. Gasson

4

Best Answer

Answered . You should apply for your green card when you are eligible (one year after your asylum grant). Then you can file for a green card for her, but it will likely take a couple of years.

2. Laura Justine Jacobson

4

1

Answered . You're right that she won't qualify for the I-730 since you weren't married at the time you got asylum. You can marry her now if you'd like, but you'll have to wait until you get your green card before you can petition for her. After you petition for her, it will take a few years before a visa is available for her to come to the U.S.

3. Irene Vaisman

2

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.
  4. Dean P Murray

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. However, I would strongly suggest that you use an immigration lawyer. There is much more to our profession than filling out forms. There is a lot of analysis that occurs behind the scenes. Get a lawyer and do it right the first time. Repeating anything in the world of immigration is on a time scale of months or years. As a result, it can easily cost you more time and money to obtain an immigration benefit on your own than if you use an attorney. Plus, keep in mind that there are significant “opportunity costs” as well. (A good example is where someone has to re-submit a work permit application and wait a few additional months before working).

If you appreciate the time spent preparing this answer, kindly consider marking it BEST ANSWER or HELPFUL. Good luck to you.

Dean P. Murray
    The Murray Law Firm
    560 Sylvan Avenue
    Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
    T: (201)875-2600
    F: (201)549-8700

5. Stephen D. Berman

2

Answered . There is no visa you can file for your fiance until you become a permanent resident. There is about a two year wait for the visa, which you can file at that time.