After an annulment, how long does one have to leave the country if the person is on a conditional green card?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

One year is still left on the conditional green card but we are pursuing the annulment option. I just want to know how much time do I have to leave the country in a legit manner. I have no interest in pursuing a permanent green card. Thanks.

Thanks for the answers. Clearly I wasnt very clear. My question was after the annulment is finalized and assuming my husband updates the immigration authorities ( to report a change of status, I guess?), how long can I stay before I have quit my job/close my bank accounts and leave - like a month or immediately ? I am just trying to understand the statutory timings so that I can plan in advance. Also, I want to stay in the country until the annulment finalizes -helps to get closure that way.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

8

Answered . Hard to answer this on you description

2. F. J. Capriotti III

6

Answered . Hard to answer.

Talk to an immigration lawyer before doing anything rash.

3. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

4

Answered . Schedule an appointment with an immigration attorney to review your situation in depth.

4. Michael Hugh Carlin

4

Answered . You should consult with an immigration attorney near you. It appears that, at this time, you are still in a legally valid marriage. Once your marriage is terminated, you would have the option of pursuing the continuation of your permanent residence, or departing the United States, or possibly seeking another way to remain in valid immigration status.

5. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. More info is needed on the specifics of your case. Even then, your question as to how much time you will have to leave the country is relative. Are you talking a few days, weeks, months, years, etc?