Skip to main content

After an annulment, how long does one have to leave the country if the person is on a conditional green card?

New York, NY |

One year is still left on the conditional green card but we are pursuing the annulment option. I just want to know how much time do I have to leave the country in a legit manner. I have no interest in pursuing a permanent green card. Thanks.

Thanks for the answers. Clearly I wasnt very clear. My question was after the annulment is finalized and assuming my husband updates the immigration authorities ( to report a change of status, I guess?), how long can I stay before I have quit my job/close my bank accounts and leave - like a month or immediately ? I am just trying to understand the statutory timings so that I can plan in advance. Also, I want to stay in the country until the annulment finalizes -helps to get closure that way.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Hard to answer.

    Talk to an immigration lawyer before doing anything rash.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  2. Hard to answer this on you description

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  3. You should consult with an immigration attorney near you. It appears that, at this time, you are still in a legally valid marriage. Once your marriage is terminated, you would have the option of pursuing the continuation of your permanent residence, or departing the United States, or possibly seeking another way to remain in valid immigration status.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

  4. Schedule an appointment with an immigration attorney to review your situation in depth.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

  5. I agree with my colleagues. More info is needed on the specifics of your case. Even then, your question as to how much time you will have to leave the country is relative. Are you talking a few days, weeks, months, years, etc?

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics