After accepting a settlement in a law suite pertaining to a road accident, can I revoke my decision and ask for review?

Being the injured person, I accepted a settlement amount after considering all expense. But after accepting I was informed of a much higher medical bill I had to settle. In view of this I want to reverse my decision. What remedial options do I have?

New York, NY -

Marco Caviglia

Marco Caviglia

Personal Injury Lawyer - Poughkeepsie, NY

Settlements are always in writing, and if so, it is unlikely it can be reopened absent fraud or some other compelling reason.

S. David Rosenthal Esquire

S. David Rosenthal Esquire

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Roseville, CA

I assume you have a lawyer and you should discuss your options with him. Whether you can back out of the settlement will probably depend on how the agreement was reached and whether there is a binding written agreement executed by the parties or a settlement made at a court proceeding that was on the record.

Yefim Rubinov

Yefim Rubinov

Personal Injury Lawyer - Brooklyn, NY

Did you sign anything?

Michael Shemtoub

Michael Shemtoub

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Los Angeles, CA

You should discuss this with your attorney regarding the terms of your settlement and release of all claims.

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Personal Injury Lawyer - Bronx, NY

If you signed a release and stipulation to discontinue the case with legal representation, then the case is over. Discuss the matter with your attorney.

Joseph Gerard Dell

Joseph Gerard Dell

Personal Injury Lawyer - Garden City, NY

Once you agree to a settlement the other side, the defendants get to rely upon that settlement and you are bound by it. The only option you have is to discuss with your attorney why the information you may have had or believed at the time of the settlement was not accurate.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Best bet is to get your lawyer to negotiate down your medical bills.

George Costas Andriotis

George Costas Andriotis

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Tarpon Springs, FL

If you signed a Release than likely not but you should still consult a personal injury attorney as I have been successful in arguing the Release was signed under duress.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.