After a tenant in New Jersey is served eviction papers what is the next step to collecting the back rent?

Asked about 3 years ago - Brigantine, NJ

Went to Atlantic Special Civil Court on Friday the 29th of July- missed the first payment promised. Now will file Certification of Breach and now wil requestentry of a jusgment for possession. Need to know how to file for back rental payments- June, July and now August.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Mary Tom

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Once you have the Judgment of Possession, you need to file a collection complaint for the outstanding rent/damages. That is a separate proceeding to collect a money judgment.

    Good luck.

    Wayne Plaza II
    155 Route 46 West
    Wayne, NJ 07470
    Phone No. (973) 256-0456
    Fax No. (973) 256-4784

    This message does not constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This message does not... more
  2. John F Newman

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . The special civil part clerk's office will have forms and packets that will help you understand this process. if it's under $3,000 that you seek, check out this page:

    The state judiciary website has more information that may be of assistance. An attorney may take the case for 1/3 plus costs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,219 answers this week

3,162 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,219 answers this week

3,162 attorneys answering