After a police report has been made against me. what is the "Time Frame" I should expect until police start questioning me.

Encinitas, CA |

if I don't answer any questions can they still arrest me? or not until the DA presses charges?

when i ask TIME FRAME. i need an answer as to how many days the police will wait MAXIMUM until they take action on a police report.

Get an attorney! Do not let police question you! Let your attorney handle this!

Andrew Roberts

Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777

They can arrest you at anytime, even if you don't answer a questions, so long as they have an arrest warrant or probable cause to arrest where a warrant is not required. They can even take you in for questioning and keep you for 72 hours without formally arresting you. So, with that said, right now is the BEST time to hire an attorney to represent your rights.

Elliot Zarabi
www.FreeCriminalConsultation.com
213-612-7720

Elliot Zarabi www.FreeCriminalConsultation.com 213-612-7720 This answer does not constitute full legal advise. I do not know the full details of the case and therefore cannot make a full determination on your case or your answer. I always recommend speaking to an attorney in detail regarding your case.

Never ever ever talk to the police unless you are the victim of a crime.

There is no set amount of time in which law enforcement is required to seek you out for questioning. Even if they don't question you they may arrest you if they have probable cause to believe you committed a crime. If you're the target of an investigation you should contact a local North County defense attorney immediately to ensure your rights are preserved and the situation doesn't further spiral out of control. Most defense attorneys in North County provide free consultations, so you shouldn't hesitate to call and learn what can be done to ensure the best possible result.

Law Office of Andrew Limberg, APLC 380 S. Melrose Dr., #329 Vista, CA 92081 (760) 806-4381

It depends on the nature of the investigation. I would utilize attorneys who give free case evaluation so you will be ready

This reply should NOT be considered a legal opinion of your case / inquiry. At this time I do not have sufficient factual/legal documentation to give a complete answer to your question and there may be more to the issues you raised then I have set out in my brief reply

If you're talking about a misdemeanor, they have a year to charge you. If it's a felony, the statute of limitations increases depending on the severity of the crime. Obviously if the DA is going to file charges, a proper investigation has to be done before the statute of limitations runs. But the police don't have to interview you at all. Charges are often filed without a suspect ever being contacted by law enforcement. That's not to say it won't happen. It's just to let you know that simply because the cops don't come knocking, it doesn't necessarily follow that you're out of the woods.

I get the impression something happened recently and you're all stressed out about it, which is perfectly understandable. The best advice has already been given, but I'll repeat it anyway. Get a lawyer. If and when the cops show up, you just tell them to "talk to my lawyer" and they can't ask you another question. They can still arrest you, but they can't interrogate you. If your lawyer knows what's going on ahead of time, they're going to be in a much better position to help if you do get taken in.

Rule Number 1) There is no Fight Club.
Rule Number 2) Don't talk to the police.
Rule Number 3) Tell the cops to talk to your attorney. And then shut up and stay quiet, no matter what happens.

An amazing number of my cases would go from totally helpless to totally defensible if the client had followed the above advise. It's really that easy.

No attorney-client relationship is created by communications on AVVO. Any information provided by the attorney is for general informational purposes only. Always consult with a qualified attorney who is licensed to practice in your area.

They can arrest you whether or not you answer questions. DO MOT ANSWER. Get a lawyer and have a bail bond person standing by.

The opinions rendered herein are based on general principles of law. Laws vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and there are often numerous factors which can render advice or an opinion inapplicable. You should NOT make any decisions about the handling of a legal matter without first directly consulting with an attorney about the particulars of your case.

As already alluded to by other lawyers on this site, do not talk to the police. More importantly, don't be fooled by cleaver officers or investigators that promise not to arrest you if you talk to them or tell you that "you can clear this whole thing up by telling me your side of the story." Also, if you are arrested, be very wary of telling other people in jail your "side of the story." Other inmates that are trying to cut a deal in their own case will trade information/admissions in another case. TALK TO A LAWYER AND ONLY A LAWYER.

Be proactive, not reactive. Be quiet, do not discuss the allegations with anyone anywhere OTHER THAN A CRIMINAL DEFENSE LAWYER, and hire the best, locally experienced, criminal defense attorney you can afford.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555

There is no timeframe and this is not something you should be concerned about. As for arrest, in practical reality the police can arrest anyone at anytime for virtually any reason or even excuse.

Your sole focus should be on refusing to speak to the police OR ANYONE ELSE about the incident without your attorney present. Do not be combative with the police or resist arrest. Simply tell them (and everyone else) that you refuse to answer any questions without your attorney present. If you get arrested, don't talk to anyone in jail about your case without your attorney present.

GET AN ATTORNEY NOW!

The response above is not intended as legal advice. This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Legal questions can only be fully answered through consultation with an attorney to whom you give full and accurate details. Anything you post here is not confidential and is not protected by the attorney-client relationship. It is highly recommended that you seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting.

Civil rights topics