After a job application was accepted, can you be denied an interview?

Portland, OR |

A job position that I had held before has opened up again (I left on good terms). I spoke with the employer (public not private) and they urged me to turn in my application right away as they are interviewing the next week, which I did. They sent an email stating that they did receive my application but did not call to set up an interview and now the week has passed. The position is still open. Do I have any rights?

No one ever has the legal right to insist on an interview for a job.

Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: jay@northwestlawoffice.com | Online: www.northwestlawoffice.com

2. I'm not sure why you think you have the right to be interviewed for the position. You may have left on good terms, but I am not sure why you think you might have the right to be rehired. You report no facts that lead me to suspect you have such affirmative rights.

Not legal advice, just my two cents. Consult Oregon counsel if you need legal advice. I practice in Vermont ONLY.

3. Attorney Taylor is correct. You have not explained why you believe that you are entitled to an interview. You also have not indicated that they chose not to interview you for any unlawful purpose. An employer can choose who to hire and who to interview for any reason or no reason at all.