Skip to main content

After a demand letter has been sent what can I expect?

Jensen Beach, FL |

This is regarding a personal injury case involving the negligence of a healthcare provider. Will the insurance company most likely want some kind of deposition from me before a suit has even been filed? I'm not quite sure the various steps in a personal injury case. Any insight appreciated.

Thanks everybody. Of course I am going to have a lawyer do all this. That being said I have yet to retain one. I have received advice that this is in fact a personal injury case. I just want to know if it is usually the case that the insurance company will want to hear my statement, that would require my lawyer present to represent me-- I suppose in court where the incident occurred. Or will just having my medical records usually be sufficient. I am just asking because I do not know the legal process, and I just found out that even if a suit is not filed I may be required to make some kind of statement. I just did not know if this is the rule or the exception or likely

+ Read More

Attorney answers 8


Although you have not provided the facts sufficient to determine whether this case would be subject to Florida's Medical Malpractice Act, be sure to check with your attorney as to whether or not the stringent pre-suit requirements of the Act apply to your claim. Depending on the precise nature of the alleged negligence, your claim might fall into the category of being a medical malpractice case and certain deadlines and procedures would follow. Further, a medical malpractice case has a 2-year statute of limitations, so make sure you are very clear about the nature of the case. The term 'personal injury' encompasses a wide range of cases with varying degrees of pre-suit requirements and procedures.

As far as what will be needed from you in the case, it is very possible that you will have to give a recorded statement regarding the occurrence of the incident, your injuries, and any prior injuries. Be sure you have the representation of an attorney should you have to give such a statement.

I hope you are healing well from whatever injury it is you have sustained, and make sure to be very clear with your attorney about the occurrence of the incident and what theory of liability is being relied upon.

Good luck to you in your medical recovery.

Ian M. Thomas, Esq. - Perenich Caulfield Avril & Noyes, P.A. - The above answer should not be construed to constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This information is intended as educational only and you should seek a qualified and experienced lawyer with questions about your legal rights. The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask for free written information about the lawyer's or law firm's qualifications and experience.


They may keep asking you for records, documents, and possibly a deposition; or they may just ignore you. My question, is there a particular reason you don't have an atttorney?

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


Without knowing more facts of your case it would be unwise to predict what an insurance company would do upon receipt of your demand letter. In some cases you would be required to give the insurance company a sworn statement. You should gather all of your paperwork and consult with a qualified attorney that handles the type of case you are referring to - it may be medical malpractice but it is difficult to say from the facts you provided.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER - Any information provided is not legal advice. There is no attorney client relationship created in this group discussion. Do not rely on informal comminucation in this forum as legal advice. If you wish to obtain legal advice you should hire an attorney in your State.


It is hard to answer this question without knowing more facts about your case. However, I do not expect any insurance company to pay for damaged without conducting an investigation to determine the validity of your claim. To be safe, consult a lawyer in your area.

Attorney Fadi Chakour, M.D., J.D. My consultation is free. Call me on my cell phone (904)612-0586.


Florida has specific statutory requirements if you are claiming negligent medical treatment. If that is the case, I would expect that they will not treat you fairly until you have an attorney. Adjusters and risk management will assume that you will not be able to navigate the process unless you are an attorney. It is a complex field and you should speak with an attorney promptly to avoid any time-related defenses.


It is unclear whether you have a lawyer or not. If not, you would want to retain one, as personal injury cases are very complex. Contact one of the lawyers in your state who answered your question above to discuss getting representation.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


It sounds like you are talking about a medical malpractice case. In my experience you are not likely to settle such a claim without a lawsuit or, at a minimum, without a lawyer. These cases are typically medically complicated and require expert legal representation. I would talk to a good medical malpractice attorney as soon as possible since there may be legal deadlines approaching.

Good luck.


No matter what kind of a claim you have, the insurance company would like to wring as much information from you as possible , but this is unadvisable, particularly if you are not represented by counsel .

You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer