After a car accident, should I contact the other driver's insurance company?

Fresno, CA |

I'm not sure if my attorney should be handling all communication, or if I should also be communicating with the insurance company.

.

1. NOOO! Do not contact the insurance company. Your attorney should be handling all communication. Why wouldn't you first ask your attorney about this? If you don't trust your attorney to do his/her job, then perhaps you should consider hiring one you do trust.

Any information provided through Avvo.com in response to a question is not, and cannot be considered a formation of any Attorney-Client relationship. Questioner understands that the nature of this system allows only for a cursory review of case information, and more detailed information should not be divulged in this public forum. As such, Questioner is recommended to contact an Attorney in order to discuss the full details of their case and a more specific advisement of potential rights and liabilities.

2. Your attorney is your advocate and your representative. Only he/she should and will act on your behalf. Contact your attorney now to clear up any misunderstanding.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff www.nyelderinjurylaw.com

3. Yikes, your attorney didn't instruct you not to speak with the insurance company?!

No, you should never have direct communications without your attorney's approval and consent.

Frank W. Chen is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.

4. You have a problem if your attorney did not effectively communicate to you not to speak with anyone other than him about the motor vehicle accident but especially the other driver's insurance carrier. They are the enemy! Anything you can and do say may be used against you or twisted to be used against you. I always counsel my clients to refrain from speaking to their own insurance carrier these days. Lord knows they do not want to pay for medical bills ! Best call up your attorney and get things straight before you go any further.

5. As stated in the answers YOU should not be talking with anyone and your attorney should have made that clear. I too wonder why you would post a question here rather than picking up the phone and asking your attorney. The relationship between you and your attorney should feel comfortable or something is wrong. I hope you discuss this with your attorney and get the issues resolved. Good Luck!

This information is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information on this website is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. A debt relief agency.