After a car accident, should I contact the other driver's insurance company?

I'm not sure if my attorney should be handling all communication, or if I should also be communicating with the insurance company. .

Fresno, CA -

Matthew Murillo

Matthew Murillo

DUI / DWI Attorney - Redlands, CA

NOOO! Do not contact the insurance company. Your attorney should be handling all communication. Why wouldn't you first ask your attorney about this? If you don't trust your attorney to do his/her job, then perhaps you should consider hiring one you do trust.

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Frank Wei-Hong Chen

Litigation Lawyer - San Marino, CA

Yikes, your attorney didn't instruct you not to speak with the insurance company?!

No, you should never have direct communications without your attorney's approval and consent.

Benjamin M Pinczewski

Benjamin M Pinczewski

Personal Injury Lawyer - Brooklyn, NY

You have a problem if your attorney did not effectively communicate to you not to speak with anyone other than him about the motor vehicle accident but especially the other driver's insurance carrier. They are the enemy! Anything you can and do say may be used against you or twisted to be used against you. I always counsel my clients to refrain from speaking to their own insurance carrier these days. Lord knows they do not want to pay for medical bills ! Best call up your attorney and get things straight before you go any further.

Dede J Agrava

Dede J Agrava

Chapter 7 Bankruptcy Attorney - Fresno, CA

As stated in the answers YOU should not be talking with anyone and your attorney should have made that clear. I too wonder why you would post a question here rather than picking up the phone and asking your attorney. The relationship between you and your attorney should feel comfortable or something is wrong. I hope you discuss this with your attorney and get the issues resolved. Good Luck!

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Jeffrey Mark Adams

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Bronx, NY

Your attorney is your advocate and your representative. Only he/she should and will act on your behalf. Contact your attorney now to clear up any misunderstanding.